Here’s a dish that ticks every box. It abounds in flavour, colour and nutrition. Not enough to tempt you? How about low in calories, gluten free and super easy to make?
And if you’ve never thought of roasting garlic, throw in some extra cloves because you’ll be a fan after trying this dish.
- 750 grams fresh asparagus spears
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 230 C / 450 F (210 fan-forced). Trim and discard the woody bases from asparagus. The easiest way to do this is simply to bend the spear and they will snap where the tender shoot begins.
- Place asparagus and garlic in a medium sized baking tray and drizzle with a good quality olive oil. Lightly salt and sprinkle generously with freshly ground pepper. Toss to coat.
- Roast for 10 to 15 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender but still bright green, stirring once halfway through roasting. Serve immediately. Makes 8 side servings or four light meals when served with fresh, crusty bread.
Try using lemon rather than salt for added piquancy.
Amount Per Serving Calories 271Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 0mgSodium 345mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 8gSugar 5gProtein 9g