Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Additional Time 30 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 25 minutes
- 3 large apples - peeled, cored, and sliced
- 2 ounces candied lemon peel, chopped
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2 ¼ cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 ⅛ cups warm milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
Grease the bottom and sides of a 9x13-inch baking dish or a 9-inch springform pan.
Beat 2 1/4 cup flour, milk, 1/4 cup sugar, yeast, 6 tablespoons butter, vanilla extract, and 1 pinch salt in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high until dough is smooth, about 5 minutes; spread into a baking dish and press dough up the sides. Press apple slices into the dough.
Mix 1 cup sugar, 3/4 cup flour, candied lemon peel, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 1 pinch salt in a bowl. Cut in 1/2 cup butter with a knife or pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; sprinkle over apples. Allow dough to rise for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Bake in the preheated oven until cake is golden brown and apples are tender about 35 minutes.
Amount Per Serving Calories 370Total Fat 15gCholesterol 38mgSodium 136mgCarbohydrates 57gProtein 5g