- 12 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups sliced mixed mushrooms, such as cremini, oyster and/or shiitake
- 4 cups thinly sliced Brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup dry sherry (see Note), or 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup finely shredded cheese, plus more for garnish
Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, return to the pot and set aside.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms release their liquid, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add sherry (or vinegar), scraping up any brown bits; bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until almost evaporated, 10 seconds (if using vinegar) or about 1 minute (if using sherry).
Whisk milk and flour in a bowl; add to the skillet with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the sauce bubbles and thickens, about 2 minutes. Stir in Asiago until melted. Add the sauce to the pasta; gently toss. Serve with more cheese, if desired.
Amount Per Serving Calories 384Total Fat 10.2gSaturated Fat 4.4gCholesterol 21mgSodium 431mgCarbohydrates 56.4gFiber 9.6gSugar 8gProtein 18.4g