- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 ounces cooked chicken sausage, such as Al Fresco Sweet Italian, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 cup whole-wheat orzo
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper, plus more for garnish
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound broccolini, trimmed, or 4 cups broccoli florets
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
Heat oil in a 12-inch cast-iron or other large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add orzo and garlic; cook, stirring, for 1 minute more.
Stir in broth, crushed red pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil. Stir in broccolini (or broccoli). Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the orzo is tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking until the broth is absorbed.
Stir in Parmesan and lemon zest. To serve, top with additional Parmesan and crushed red pepper, if desired.
Amount Per Serving Calories 333Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 46mgSodium 557mgCarbohydrates 42gFiber 10gSugar 4gProtein 18g