- 1/2 onion (large)
- 2 large carrots
- 2 stalks celery (medium)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 12 ounces broccoli florets (4 to 5 cups)
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (for vegetables)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (for soup)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (for soup)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (use orange cheddar, 8 oz.)
- fresh parsley (minced, for serving)
- salt (optional, for serving)
- freshly ground black pepper (optional, for serving)
Finely chop onion, carrots, and celery. Separately mince garlic, chop broccoli into 1/2-inch florets, and finely chop any broccoli stems. Set garlic and broccoli aside.
Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, and salt. Saute until vegetables are softened, 6 to 7 minutes.
Add minced garlic and mustard to pot and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Sprinkle flour over vegetables and stir to evenly coat.
Stream broth and milk into pot, stirring to dissolve flour. Season soup with salt and pepper, and then add broccoli.
Bring soup to a low boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring once or twice, until broccoli is just tender, about 10 minutes.
Turn off heat, but leave soup pot on the burner. Add half of the cheese to soup in 2 additions, stirring after each addition, until completely melted.
Mince parsley. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with parsley. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to soup if you like.
Amount Per Serving Calories 310Total Fat 20gCarbohydrates 17gFiber 3gProtein 17g